This is terrific ! Many thanks to your team. Keep up the fantastic work!
Rochelle Roll Back Yoga Pose For Breast Cancer
Author: Diana Ross, E-RYT 500, Posted By: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff.
In Breast Cancer Yoga, the use of props are essential for a person to feel safe, supported and nurtured. These specific, reclined, supported, yoga poses combined with deep breaths are intended to support recovery from breast cancer and assist in managing lymphedema and cancer-related fatigue. In our book, “Restorative Yoga For Breast Cancer Recovery” everyone will learn the importance of elongating the spine while opening the chest region using props for support . The mild inversions are used to create an anti-gravitational force in the pose which will renew energy, promote positive thoughts and enhance self esteem.
“Importantly, when props are used correctly, they allow the body to come into a natural and balanced state of alignment. When the body is aligned, the mind feels balanced as well. Once the body and the mind unite, the breath too becomes aligned and brings a deeper, internal state of peace.”
- Reduces respiratory & heart rates
- Increases cervical and axillary lymphatic drainage
- Aids flexibility of rib cage and thoracic spine and expands pectoral muscles
- Relaxes the muscles of the chest, allowing blood to flow freely to the heart and lungs
- Massages the thymus gland which stimulates the immune function
- Boosts the nervous system, building heat and stimulating metabolism
- Facilitates lymphatic drainage of breasts
- Stretches groin, quadriceps and hip flexors
- Promotes deep breathing by widening the chest
- Facilitates an inner quiet and calmness
- Begin seated with one or two bolsters/blocks behind. Bring right knee out to side with right foot resting on left inner knee (adjust hips to be equal.) Place top of left foot down to stretch ankle.
- Lengthen spine, recline back, rest elbows to bolster first. Stay until a release is felt in the thigh muscles.
- To expand the chest, drape your back over the bolsters and place head on block/bolster or where it feels good. The arms can go out to “T” position in between bolsters.
- If you wish to go even deeper you can remove second bolster/block and release crown of head to earth, and stretch arms over head, elbows soft.
- Stay in pose for 5 minutes or longer if it feels amazing.
- When finished, come back up, extend both legs forward.
- Place cylinder bolster on lap and drape torso over bolster in ROCHELLE ROLL FORWARD.
- When done – INHALE, return to STAFF POSE and enjoy ANKLE ROTATIONS.
To experience the benefits of yoga for breast cancer, it is essential that you begin with simple, gentle yoga movements. You should also consult a doctor before you begin practicing yoga. It is also necessary that you follow a yogic diet that consists of a mainly vegetarian diet to enhance the benefits of yoga.
About Diana Ross: E-RYT 500 restorative yoga teacher, survivor that cares and founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Diana is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yogatherapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.